“Directed with shrewdness, empathy, and delicate intimacy.” – Sudestival.
In Samira’s Dream, a Zanzibari woman aspires to have a family like all of her friends, but is also determined to pursue higher education and a career.
Samira aspires to have a family like all of her friends, but is also determined to pursue higher education and a career. Throughout seven years of her life, amidst social pressures and the ever-present need to respect traditions, it seems she must choose one life over the other.
A brilliant look at the inspiring trajectory of a modern, young African woman’s goals and ultimate freedoms. Filmed with a sensitive eye that imbues Samira’s story with the context of day-to-day life in urban Zanzibar Town, compared to the many nuances of life in the fishing village of Nungwi.
“A magnificent film spanning many years that follows and documents, with an elegant detachment and respect, the life of the protagonist, who… transform[s] what at first seems like a documentary into an authentic narrative-driven film.” – Babel Film Festival
A condensed list of Festival Critical Acclaim includes but is not by any means limited to:
- WINNER – Merit Award – Docs Without Borders Film Festival
- WINNER – Best Documentary – iFest International Film Festival
- WINNER – Best Outstanding Documentary – Kaduna International Film Festival
- WINNER – Best Documentary – Matera International Film Festival
- WINNER – Best Feature Documentary – Boden Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Rome Independent Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Socially Relevant Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Pan African Film Festival
“Beautifully shot and eloquently executed… this honest documentary proves that if you dream big enough, you can escape what the world expects from you.” – SJ Portelli, International Film Critic.
2020 / Documentary / 88 minutes / Swahili w/English subtitles / A film by Nino Tropiano.
HOW TO ORDER:
Public Performance and Digital Site Licenses are available through Soundview Media Partners. To inquire or to place an order, write to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply choose from the options below:
For group screening prices, please inquire.
In-home/personal use copies are available on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3Pq22Xj
Watch the trailer