A kindhearted and carefree young Rastafarian named Miguel, a.k.a. Djon África – is a Portuguese-born musician of Cape Verdean descent who identifies as African even though he’s never been to the continent. He is prompted to go on a search for his father.
All he knows is what his grandmother tells him: that his father was deported long ago to Cape Verde; and so, this is where Miguel goes, on a quest to find his roots.
“The film leaves us with questions of identity and nationality. He may be warmly welcomed, yet Miguel finds himself a foreigner wherever he goes.” – Screen Daily
“Accessible and atmospheric, built around an engaging performance by Miguel Moreira.” —Neil Young, Hollywood Reporter
- WINNER Best Script – Cineuphoria
- WINNER – Best original song, Sophia Awards – Portuguese Cinema Academy
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – International Film Festival Rotterdam
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Africa in Motion Film Festival (Edinburgh, Scotland)
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – San Francisco International Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Durban International Film Festival
“Djon Africa works best as a sketched character piece that revels in Cape Verdean culture and opens up a world of discovery that shows how reality rarely matches up to the expectations of our dreams.” – Digital Fix
Drama / 2018 / Color / Portuguese w/English subtitles / A film by Joao Miller Guerra and Filipa Reis
HOW TO ORDER:
Public Performance and Digital Site Licenses are available through Soundview Media Partners. To inquire or to place an order, write to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply choose from the options below:
For group screening prices, please inquire.
In-home/personal use copies are available on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2FF2DFV
Watch the trailer