Inspired by the true story of death threats, Mexican journalism, and the urban legend of the Buffalo Man, and based upon the poetry of Julio Cortázar.
With a surreal aesthetic and disruptive narrative that underscores the disenchantment and dangers of investigative journalism in Mexico, EL HOMBRE BÚFALO follows Eric, a young journalist in Mexico City who stops writing after he receives death threats. Obsessed with an elderly homeless man who has dementia and a mythical being who takes care of abandoned children, he decides to write again, even if it costs him his life.
Since 2000, at least 133 journalists have been killed in Mexico – rated by the Reporters Without Borders organization as the most dangerous country without war in which to practice journalism, behind only Afghanistan and Syria.
- Winner – Vision Award, Socially Relevant Film Festival
- Winner – Best Picture, Festival Internacional de Cine del Mar (Uruguay)
- Winner – Best Actor (Raúl Briones), Festival Internacional de Cine del Mar (Uruguay)
- Winner – Jury Special Mention, Editing, Festival Internacional de Cine del Mar (Uruguay)
- Winner – Best Screenplay (David Torres), Festival Internacional de Cine del Mar (Uruguay)
- Official Selection – Chihuahua International Film Festival
- Official Selection – Macabro Festival Internacional de Cine de Horror
Filmed in Mexico, EL HOMBRE BÚFALO features a wonderful ensemble cast that includes Verónica Bravo (Backdoor), Raúl Briones (Suffocation), Ana Clara Castañón (An Unknown Enemy) and Antonio Monroi (Apocalypto)
“Evokes an almost-Lynchian mood that succeeds at creating a feeling that draws us in and keeps us engaged.” – S. Yonan, The Sound View
Foreign Crime-Drama-Fantasy / 2020 / 70 minutes / Spanish with English subtitles / Color / 16×9 / A film by David Torres.
HOW TO ORDER:
Public Performance and Digital Site Licenses are available through Soundview Media Partners. To inquire or to place an order, write to email@example.com or simply choose from the options below:
For group screening prices, please inquire.
In-home/personal use copies are available on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3DBnyT1
WATCH THE TRAILER