Touching upon American history and military history, the film is based on the book by the same name. It follows the lives of Jacob Ritner, a Union captain, teacher, farmer and abolitionist from Iowa, and his wife, Emeline.
Their documentary is framed by the real-life letters they wrote each other, augmented by the research of Charles Larimer, Jacob and Emeline’s great, great grandson, who uncovered additional information about some of the people featured in the letters, including a young run-away slave whom Ritner met in Mississippi in 1862 during the Vicksburg campaign, and the Ice Merchant of Savannah who hosted Jacob Ritner for Christmas dinner in 1864 at the end of Sherman’s March to the Sea.
“…[the] most moving Civil War love story ever told” – Bill Hoffmann, Newsmax
- Best Documentary winner at the Black Earth Film Festival
- Silver Eddy Award winner at the Cedar Rapids Independent Film Festival
- Award of Achievement Iowa Motion Picture Association Awards
- Nominee for Best Documentary – Beloit International Film Festival
- Official Selection for the Memphis International Film Festival
- Official Selection for the S.U.R.G.E. Film Festival
- Official Selection – Iowa Independent Film Festival
- Emerging Filmmaker Award – Beloit International Film Festival
- Official selection for the Redemptive Film Festival
- Official selection for the Orlando Film Festival.
- Official selection for the Nashua International Film Festival
- Official selection for the Louisville International Festival of Film
- Official selection for the Naperville Independent Film Festival
- Official selection for the Glen Rose Neo-Relix Film Festival
- Official selection for the Landlocked Film Festival
- Official selection for the Interrobang Film Festival
- Official selection River Bend Film Festival
83 minutes / Color / Produced and directed by Charles F. Larimer.
HOW TO ORDER:
Public Performance and Digital Site Licenses are available through Soundview Media Partners. To inquire or to place an order, write to email@example.com or simply choose from the options below:
For group screening prices, please inquire.
In-home/personal use copies are available on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2arGCeu
Watch the trailer