Starring Paige Davis (Trading Spaces, The Unicorn) in a most unique role, and written by David Henry Hwang (M. Butterfly), Bondage is, in short, a seriously comical discourse in an unlikely location.
Davis plays the role of Tiffany Walker, a fantasy service provider challenged by her inner sense of self. Her client is Mark Wong, played by Ryun Yu (The Mikado Project, The Last Tour). An amusing, extraordinarily insightful conversation between client and service provider takes place in admittedly a most unlikely location; a location where what one would expect turns out to be quite the opposite than the anticipated. The result: A challenge to the nature of existence and the essence of love.
The unlikely location is, of course Tiffany’s fantasy dungeon, where anything is possible, disguises are mandatory, and everything is unexpected. The discourse is comical and simultaneously serious. And the Tiffany <-> Mark relationship is one to be observed for sure. In this case, observed by Noir, a jet black cat played by Mr. Slim.
Of note: the film contains NO nudity. It is but another example of the unexpected nature of the production.
The critical response has been extraordinarily broad and the film’s festival run extensive.
- Berlin Short Film Festival Winner, Best Screenplay (with David Henry Hwang)
- Honolulu International Film Festival, Golden Kahuna Award
- Filmmakers International Film Awards Jakarta,Winner – Best Newcomer Esquire Jauchem, Silver award – Short Film, Silver award – Director, Silver award – Ensemble cast
- Oregon Film Festival, Silver Award Short Film
- International Movie Awards, Jakarta, Indonesia , Gold Award (2nd place)
- Best Shorts Competition, Award of Merit, Film Short , Award of Merit, Paige Davis Leading Actress
- Accolade Global Film Competition, Award of Merit, Asian American, Award of Merit, Ryun Yu, Leading Actor
- International Short Film Fest Shrinigar, Kashmir World Public Premiere
- Miami Independent Film Festival
- Access Code Short Film Festival
- Lake Charles Film & Music Festival
- Orlando Urban Film Festival American Public Premiere
- Blow Up – Chicago International Short Film Festival
- Indie Film Festival, Switzerland
- Garden City International Film Festival, Bangalore, India
- Los Angeles Cinefest
- Broken Knuckle Film Festival
- Strange Film Awards
- Underground FIlmFest
- Atlas Awards, Boston
- Korean Expat Film Festival
“… the author of M. BUTTERFLY proves to be a wry observer of contemporary mores.” – New York Times
“BONDAGE is an intriguing piece of writing by one of the most intelligent and original new voices” – Detroit News
About the director… ESQUIRE JAUCHEM
For the past forty years, Esquire Jauchem has had an extremely varied career in the performing arts. Founder of the Boston Repertory Theater, Associate Director (with Sarah Caldwell) of the Opera Company of Boston, and founder of Broadway’s Jauchem & Meeh Special effects company, his work has been seen across the United States and around the world.
Esquire has worked as a Producer, Writer, Director, and Designer (lighting, sets, and costumes) in a variety of performance arts including The Big Apple Circus, the Bolshoi Opera and Ballet, the Ballet Trockadero, a casino magic show, and produced over 1,000 episodes of network and cable television. He has been nominated for three Emmys.
BONDAGE is his first motion picture and it has won numerous awards around the world including Best Screenplay in Berlin.
47 minutes / 2015 / Color / 16×9 / English Language / A film by Esquire Jauchem
HOW TO ORDER:
Public Performance and Digital Site Licenses are available through Soundview Media Partners. To inquire or to place an order, write to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply choose from the options below:
For group screening prices, please inquire.
In-home/personal use copies are available on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3m68tjj
Watch the trailer